|Try the 8d Root Cause Analysis for Problem Solving|
Why Employ 8D?
Industries employ 8D approach frequently for problem solving. The methodology recognizes the fundamental basis of the issues, and not only considers the indicators. It endeavours to look for, and remove the fire fuel, rather than cover the blaze. Rather than attempting to fix a component, which has been damaged during manufacture, it attempts to discover the potential causes of damage, and introduces actions for eliminating the source of the failure. Such methods produce enduring solutions, avoiding reappearance of inaccuracy, imperfection, and oversight.
The Course of Action
8d root cause analysis, or 8d problem solving is a process performed in eight stages to identify the issues, recognize the problem root causes, and achieve solution by suitable corrective preventive action. Documenting root cause analysis is vital for provision of a lasting solution. Root cause analysis diagram consists of eight themes:
1. Team: Choose individuals who have intelligence, time, influence, and ability to resolve the trouble, and execute remedial measures. The fundamental argument is that the group in totality is sharp, with greater traits, than the aggregate of team players. The team is responsible as a whole to analyse the different scenarios for root cause analysis.
2. Enlightenment: Delineate the problem in quantifiable conditions, which are supported by the client perception. For example, a report “The mechanism stops on over heating” continues to be obscure, unless supported by additional details. The record “Defective electric breaker directs frequent short, initiating engine vibrations to produce imperfect parts at recurrent periods, instigating a waste of 10 %. Quality control measures are not able to recognize 5 % of the defective parts, causing delivery of substandard products to clients, and thus greater commitment of client support staff and warranty claims” offers a detailed problem explanation.
3. Provisional Fixing: Execute and confirm temporary remedial measures or corrections, for arranging an interim solution, or to avoid problem escalation, till a lasting resolution can be implemented. In the instance mentioned, the provisional fixing may be stopping the machinery for 10 minutes after each 2 hours, to permit reduction in temperatures, and avert over heating.
4. Documenting Root Cause Analysis: Identify and validate the problem root cause. This needs appreciating reasons for problem occurrence, documenting all probable sources, and analysis of the likely reasons to establish if the particular cause is actually the root cause. In the instance mentioned, the different sources for imperfect products are the equipment shorting, and weak quality control. The root cause though is what produces faulty electric breaker. Fixing the piece of equipment, or quality control improvement may only provide a provisional solution.
5. Corrective Preventive Action: Classify remedial measures to focus on the root causes, and confirm if such procedures will offer an enduring solution, and not produce other undesirable results. Likely solutions, in the example under reference are electric breaker or wires replacement, or adding an electric cooling fan.
6. Implementation: Apply the proposed corrective measures to ensure lasting solutions, and confirm their efficiency. Observe the method or product manufacture, ensuring no poor results.
7. Avoid Reappearance: Employ innovative ideas like adjusting specifications, redesign assembly line, staff training, and other initiatives for prevention of problem reappearance.
8. Close: Lastly, acknowledge and compensate the team, and communicate the learning to the project team.
8d Root Cause Analysis Results
The methodology of 8d problem solving comprises issue identification, execution of the corrective preventive action for the solution by effective brainstorming, and evaluation of all causes as a likely root cause. This need obtaining complete details, documenting root cause analysis, to ensure that the deliberations remain ordered and focused on the real issue. Success for all is influenced by open discussions, encouraging contributions from the team concerning the various scenarios for root cause analysis. Application assists the management to recognize the root cause, with deliberations on cost, client, and effect on the company.